get dual citizenship blog
English to Italian Legal Translation Blog
Get Italian Citizenship in 2021: Did Your Ancestors Lose Their Italian Citizenship?
Let's continue our series on Italian citizenship. Today we talk about losing citizenship. For the full article, see this link.
If you're interested in Part 1 and 2, read here.
Italian citizenship can be lost in the following ways:
How can you use this information in practice?
Start with your last Italy-registered ancestor (LIRA). Check that by the time the next person in your line was born your LIRA ha not lost his Italian citizenship (reasons include: naturalization, marriage - for women -, moving abroad as a child). If your LIRA has not lost his citizenship, then the next person in your line is an Italian citizen. Rinse and repeat for all the people in line up to you.
Why do you need to know if someone in your line lost citizenship?
The main reasons for losing citizenship is through naturalization. Therefore, your line may be failing for these reasons:
1) your LIRA naturalized as a citizen of another country (usually your home country) before the birth of the next person in line
2) your LIRA naturalized as a minor, and his father or mother did too
3) someone in your line's father naturalized before 7/1/1912
4) someone in your line was born after 1948 from an Italian mother, but not an Italian father
5) an Italian woman in your line married to a non-Italian man and got his citizenship, before 1948 and before the birth of the next person in line
6) the husband of an Italian woman in your line naturalized before 1948 and before the next person in line
After examining the above rules and your family history, you can arrive at one of the following conclusions:
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
I'm Natalia Bertelli, an English/Spanish to Italian legal translator. Since 2008 I have been working on contracts, judicial deeds, certificates, corporate translations for foreign clients who want to do business in Italy, get a dual citizenship or simply settle in my beautiful country.